Monday, December 1, 2008

Was something lost in translation?


















So yesterday I went to go get my haircut with one of my friends Eleven.  We walked down to the mall in the university district and went to a hair salon that she recommended.  The salon looked nice and clean, with almost every chair occupied by someone.  I tell one of the employees that I want just a trim.  She ushers me to the back to get me washed up.  After that she points to a sign with prices that say 20, 35 or 50.  I don't know the difference between them so I ask my friend Eleven to translate.  She said, "What's your price?"  And I was like well what is the difference in price?  She asked the girl and then turned to me and responded with, "It depends on who cuts your hair."  So I thought to myself... Well I definitely don't want the person sweeping the floor to cut my hair!  So I played it safe, or so I thought and splurged for the 50 haircut.  (Which is about $12 US dollars)   

I am then led to a chair in the front of the salon and plop down to read a magazine.  A few minutes later a serious, younger looking man comes over and starts to comb my hair and section it off.  My friend Eleven turns to me and says, "Did you tell him what you want?"  I told her no and that he just came over and didn't say anything.  So I explain that I only wanted a trim, a little bit shorter in the back and some longer bangs.  She translates for me and then he gets to work.  The next thing I know is that all my hair has been chopped off!  In the process I noticed he was cutting pretty short and tried to say something but didn't know how to say it.  I couldn't stop the guy since the damage was already done.  

Anyways, I am wondering if there was something lost in translation, maybe they don't do trims here?  Or if he knew what I said and did whatever he liked anyways!  Who knows but all I do know is I have super short hair, bordering on boyish and I have not decided if I like it or not.  The next time I go for a trim, I think I'll do it myself!

3 comments:

minkun said...

You're lucky it was just a haircut, I once ordered a tuna sandwich in Beijing and got a 3 year old Chinese kid instead. 50 Yuan = 12 dollars? I don't know where you're changing money, but as your de facto financial adviser, I strongly suggest you go else where.

Ann said...

You look darling, daughter! Enjoy, hair only grows back! Plus you save money on future hair cuts.
Love ya, Mom

Kim said...

Should we send a Flowbee in our care package to avoid further problems?
I'm sure the boys still love you!