Monday, August 25, 2008

Teachers are angels

Whoever said teachers have it easy should be hit over the head with a dictionary.  Today has been the most exhausting day of my life and I truly don't know how teachers do this everyday for years on end.  No wonder they get summers off!!! hahaha   So I got my first taste of teaching today when I taught my first class in my entire life to 180 chinese college freshmen.  I lectured to 6 different classes on the SAME topic each time and by the last class I had it down to a T.  I was on my feet from 8 am to 6 pm running around the building and classrooms trying to interact with the students.  The class I taught was about how to succeed in the classroom and how to study.  Since chinese education heavily relies on exams that primarily focus on memorization, the students need to be prepared for how american professors are going to teach their classes, which is very different then what they are used to.  I was supposed to help them understand what to expect and how to prepare for these changes.  I think one of the hardest parts was trying to communicate to them in simple terms and trying to speak slowly.  I was surprised to learn that students here rarely takes notes in class.  This is because the chinese professors only lecture directly out of the book so notes are not necessary.  They also had no idea what a syllabus was so I also had to explain this in simple terms. 
 
It's crazy how different education is in other countries.  I guess I never reallly thought about it much until today when I encountered these differences first had.  This really helped me understand their culture more and perhaps why there is such a gap between how we interact and approach things.  One more thing before I head off to bed... they absolutely LOVE basketball here and are OBSESSED with Kobe Bryant and the NBA.  So most of my examples in the classroom had to do with basketball, this was honestly the only thing I could use to relate to them!  But as you all know, I didn't mind!!!

8 comments:

Ann said...

Hi Darling!
What a day! I loved hearing about it. You are going to learn so much. Did you ever think the game of Bball would help you teach in China!
Love,
MOM

TUFKAM said...

So proud of you emmy! i am picturing you in front of your students in a ladies power suit. HOT! you're gonna drive those chinese boys wild!
good luck...
love, uncle matt

bonds21c said...

Aww Em, Miss you so much. I'm sure you're a great teacher!!! Get some comfy shoes so your feet are too sore. Talk to you soon!
Té

Anonymous said...

Wow Em, I'm chinese and even I never knew schools and supermarkets in China were that crazy. I've been to supermarkets in Malaysia but its way better than what you describe haha! Well these entries are going into the Slate! Maybe I'll try to send you some issues for you to read while you're there! =) Hope you're having tons of fun! Miss you girl!

<3 Amy Chan

Lee said...

Way to go Siiissstahh!
Thats crazy that you taught all those classes to that many students. You're a bad mutha shut yo mouth!

Glad to hear things are going well.

Hows your bike?!

Leetron

Kim said...

Hi Emily,
I agree with TUFKAM, I already predicted that half the male student body will sign up for your "tutoring" just for one on one time with you, and clog up your schedule!!!! Jenna wants to know if you have your bike license plate on yet....If not, I do understand. You probably don't need anything else to draw more attention to you!!!!!
We are loving the updates. Keep 'em coming and keep up the good work. Love, Aunt Kim

Rishi said...

congrats on finishing your first day em! im so proud of you and cant wait to hear the rest of your classroom adventures!

Anette said...

Hi, EmilyLeeee!
It's so great to sit here at work and read about your Asian adventures:) If you think China is different just wait until you get to Scandinavia! Here we walk around in viking helmets, walk our polar bears and send smoke signals to get in touch with out neighbours..lol..Miss you and can't wait to talk to you on Skype soon!
Lots of love,
Anette