Saturday, August 23, 2008

I made it!

So I made it into China!  I left Wednesday evening at 1:45 am (thursday morning) and arrived into Shanghai at 4:30 am on Friday morning.  It took awhile to go through customs, exchange money and find our bus, then we headed into downtown Shanghai where we had to pick up a professor.  It took us 3 hours to get to where we needed to be... we got lost, stuck in traffic and the millions of people on bikes and motor scooters made the process very long.  Then we headed on the interstate to Nanjing on bus which took 5 hours! By this time I hadn't eaten anything except a Chinese version of Doritos (which don't taste anything like it!) and hadn't showered in a day and a half!  We finally made it to Nanjing and I found my apartment, which is a 2 bedroom that I have to myself.  It has a walk in area with a table and couch, a room with a small kitchen, a bathroom that is very different then an American bathroom and then 2 bedrooms.  After dropping our stuff off we headed into the downtown area of Nanjing where we went to a supermarket to get things and cellphones.  The store smelled soooo bad!  Like old food and fish! I wanted to passout... anyways we got supplies or what we could since it's hard to tell what is what and then headed to a restaurant where we ordered Thai food.  The best food I have had in a very long time!   Then it was off to bed!

Today, I went to look around where the school buildings were and saw a few classrooms.  No AC and its sooo hot here and humid.  We shall see how I last! lol  School starts Monday so it's still very quite around here. I get stares everywhere I go but it's kind of funny.  The campus is gigantic and sprawls through fields and a few hills.  There are enormous buildings for classes and huge sports complexes.  There are 6 universities on this campus and they all kind of mess together so you don't really know which is which.  Anyways, I'm off to town to get a phone card and some food but will write more later!

11 comments:

annabanana said...

Emily... I'm so glade your travels went smoothly. I think your blog is a really good idea :) It's going to be interesting reading about your life over in China Land. You should send me your address when you get the chance. Love you!!!!! xoxoxo

Rishi said...

EMILY!!! im so glad you made it safely, sorry we never got a chance to talk/hang out before you left. cant wait to hear about all your adventures!

if you get a chance, shoot me an email- rishimagia@gmail.com.

have a GREAT TIME! :)

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Glad you made it safely. It already sounds like quite an experience. I'll have to tell Bernie (of Bernie's Bungalow) that you are there. He's pretty familiar with that area I think and travels to China often.

We look forward to keeping up with your adventures on the blog.

Take care!

Shane & Leeann

Kim said...

Hi Emily,
Florida Knobbes wish you the best and will keep checking in on you!!!! You are linked with Knobbster News, so there you go!!! Love, Dan, Kim, Jenna and Jake

Coach V said...

A am so happy you made it there safe. This is the start to another great opportunity. Miss ya.. TTYL

Kim said...

What is the best email to use for you????

Annabelle Bolling :) said...

Emily, I LOVE the idea of a blog. Be sure and take lots of pictures. This is such a neat adventure. I love your description of the store. Why is the bathroom so different? Don't spare any details.
Love,
Auntie Vickie and Uncle Rick and the multitude of cousins in Auburn!

Emily B said...

best email to use for me is emilybolling@yahoo.com

Kim said...

I remember the same sort of "hole in the ground" public bathroom in France, in a bar. Not good if you lose your balance. Not made for women. What the hell are you supposed to do if you aren't wearing a skirt? Emily, I suggest you find a bush.

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily
I first responded thru my blacberry but not sure if you received it, so I will attempt my first blog, I love this world. This is very exiting to learn about your adventures in China, I really respect that attitude in you. I can almost taste the thai food you had. How many acres is that campus, is there a college town area or does that not exist? I am glad you showered. Why is everyone looking at you? I can guess...but indulge me. Anyway look forward in hearing about your upcoming adventures....go get-em!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily, Sorry i wasnt able to make it before you left. Im glad you made it safely and i hope you enjjoy your time there. Im sure it will be an experience for you and its really something different. Goodluck out there and i wish you the best!!
Love krista!!