Here is a little better idea of what China grocery stores have to offer... I went into a main grocery store in Nanjing today and as soon as I walked into the store there was this scent that hit me. It was like nothing I have ever smelled before. It was very foul and smelled like rotten meat/fish/nastiness all mixed together in thick air. The smell got worse as I walked to the meat and produce section. So being curious as to what could possibly smell this bad, I walked over in that direction. To my surprise, I saw a fully skinned pig face hanging from a meat hook! Just as I turned my head before almost puking, I saw a child putting his hand on the raw meat and playing with it! That did it for me and I booked it out of that section! I bought cookies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I hope those cookies were fortune cookies and that you got one that said "It only gets better from here!" ;-)
Thank God for the good ol' FDA & USDA, huh!?
This is great, keep it coming! We can all live vicariously through you.
Cheers!
Shane
Ha ha seriously the standards for things here are SOOO different! But I love it, culture shock!
Hopefully the kid isn't a nail biter. Just say the word and I will send you some hand sanatizer.
Post a Comment