Saturday, November 15, 2008

I guess I'm less coordinated then I thought



So I decided to join the Taekwondo Club at the school and had my first class last Sunday.  Here is a little recap of my class: 

I show up to the room and find about 10 girls sitting on one side of the room and another 10 boys sitting on the opposite side of the room.  I take my shoes and socks off as quickly as possible and try not to be noticed.  (Unfortunately, this is very hard to do here and virtually impossible for me)  All eyes are on me as I go over to the group of girls and introduce myself.  I answer a million questions and then ask them some in return.  The room starts to fill up with about 40 students and finally the teacher shows up.  He's probably 25 or so with a solid build and a friendly but intense face.  

All the students hurry and form organized lines with the girls in the front.  I follow one of the girls I was talking to and stand behind her.  The teacher then proceeds to rattle off Chinese and lead them in a series of stretches, with me trying to follow the girl in front of me.  He then yells some sort of command and everyone starts running around the mats in a circle.  We do this for about 5 or more minutes and then get back in our lines.  The teacher demonstrates the kicks we will be learning and I try and just look at what he's doing, trying to understand what the hell he is saying.  So we start with these punches yelling "Hah, Hah" every time we punch.  Then we have to incorporate the kicks with the punches and this is where I start to get lost.  For every punch with your right hand, your left hand does something else and then you throw a kick in there, trying to coordinate your hands with your legs.  

So picture this... An American girl in a white uniform (resembling a potato sack), towering about a foot over all the other girls, yelling "HAH! HAH!" while trying unsuccessfully to throw punches and kicks the teacher is demonstrating.  All the while doing it completely out of sync with everyone else.  Keep in mind that I can't understand what the teacher is explaining, all I can understand is when he demonstrates.  The teacher then stops demonstrating and just starts yelling out commands as the students must listen to what he is saying and perform that specific move.  At this point, I am like "WTF am I doing here!"  I am so uncoordinated at this it's not even funny but I continue and try to copy the girl in front of me, not knowing that this is also her first class!  So the both of us were completely out of sync with everyone else and I was even more so because I couldn't understand what he was yelling!  The teacher then sees I am so lost at this point and comes over to help me, while everyone watches!  This is basically how the rest of class goes for another hour.  And that was my first Taekwondo class.   

Later in the week when we had our second class, I questioned if I should go back since I made such a fool of myself.  But I decided that it's a learning experience and I just need more practice and time.  However, the second class was even harder then the first and I was even more lost! I was a little discouraged and the thing is that I hate not being good at something, especially a sport.   But right now I don't really care that I'm horrible at it and maybe I'll get better with practice and maybe I won't.  The thing about being an American here in China is that I have felt so welcomed everywhere I have gone.  The students in the class were so impressed that I even attempted at it and tried to learn it.  There's no reason for me not to stick it out (except for the fact that I don't know what the hell I'm doing) but that is only a minor detail!  My friend Jimmy said that he would try and come in and take video of me when we start to do sparring.  I'll keep you posted and then you can really see my skills, hopefully they improve drastically! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is karate chop "Lee" in your class???LOL
Great story Emily, just don't mess up the hair!