Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween in China

For Halloween the 4 Associate Instructors decided that a little bit of America had to shine through on the NUPT campus.  So in the spirit of Halloween we threw a party for the students on Saturday and explained to them that they had to come in costume – we then had to explain what a costume was.  With Halloween not celebrated in China we found it quite difficult in the costume department.  We were forced to be creative and went with the face-painting look.  I sported a cat face and since I was unable to find cat ears I used devil horns instead, making me a devil cat???  Jimmy drew an awesome skeleton face using face paint and Ray and Jenna went as vampires.  I asked a few students to decorate the room and when I showed up I found a mix of Christmas slash Party decorations.  It brought a smile to my face J.  Somehow we convinced a DJ to come spin some music in our room (that was actually a lecture classroom) and despite some technical difficulty and his taste in music, it was an interesting night.  To my surprise many of the students showed up in costume and face-paint and those that didn’t I put my artistic talents to work on their faces, whether they wanted to or not! 

Jimmy and I unsuccessfully tried to show them the tradition of the two line dancing tunnel where each person does a move down the middle of the line (a tradition at the Knobbe family reunions J ).  I think the highlight of the night was when two of the boys, dressed as cowboy pandas, started dancing together in a strange boy on boy shimmy.  It was somewhat weird to me but the students found it hilarious… I have noticed that the boys here are much more touchy feely with one another.  They put their arms around each other and even dance together, as I saw.  Anyways, we showed the movie Dracula, which we thought would be a great movie to show on Halloween.  But about 20 minutes into the movie I felt otherwise when about 6 breasts were exposed.  It turned out that a pre-screening of the movie was needed as the movie turned out to be somewhat soft core if you know what I mean.  I turned around to find most of the girls leaving and most of the boys staying.  Other then that the party was a success and we had a fun time!  Enjoy the pics!

No comments: