Sunday, February 22, 2009

I'm BACK!

You know the saying The Honey Moon is over?  Well I guess my vacation honeymoon got the best of me and after traveling for 8 weeks to 6 cities in Thailand, 4 cities in southwest China and after 6 flights, 2 trains, a million buses and too many taxis to remember, I am back in my cozy and very cold apartment in Nanjing, listening to the rain paddle against my balcony.  I don’t know if you’ve ever had the feeling coming back from a trip but it’s something like relief mixed with sadness, swirled together with a touch of reality on top.  I’m back to the life I lived before I experienced all the things I did and even though it feels good to be back to a routine, sleeping in my hard yet somehow comfortable bed, not living out of a suitcase or paying for a nights sleep, there’s a part of me that is sad my adventure is over.  Now the reality sets in.  Work.

Not that my work here is extremely hard, it is just the fact that I have to go to work.  Even if I had the best job in the world I think I would feel the same way.  We all seem to have this feeling of work.  When you mention the word to someone a transformation suddenly happens, their shoulders sink, their face changes and their voice lowers.  Blah work.  Why can’t work be traveling to a new place, experiencing a new culture and seeing things that blow your mind?  That’s work.  I guess I’m like most people my age, trying to figure out what I want in life.  Our “path”.  What I want to “do”.  Well, I know one thing I want to do and that’s travel more!

 

Anyways, enough blah talk for now… I made myself a few promises for the next semester before I leave China in June.  I think if I post them on here then I will feel more obligated to actually try and accomplish them and maybe some of you will even harass me a little about them in the future to keep me on my toes.  So here is goes…

  1. Learn CHINESE!  Shoot I’ve been in China for 6 freaking months and a 3 year old can speak more Chinese then me.  It’s pretty shameful, so first things first, I must improve my Chinese ASAP.
  2. Start/Finish my advertising portfolio.  As some of you know I’m an advertising major and want to one day actually get a job in the field, yet I haven’t finish my portfolio.  This is something that I really really need to do.  Suggestions???
  3. Get another Taekwondo belt.  I got my yellow belt last semester and had an amazing time laughing my ass off and getting laughed at, so I definitely want to try for my next belt. (I have no idea what the next belt is?)
  4. I guess to round it out I’d have to say I want to improve my writing capability.  That means writing a ton more, reading more books and getting criticism.  Advice?

 

Since I was such a terrible blogger over the past 2 months, I am going to try and recap my adventures on here as much as I can.  So be prepared for a random slue of stories and info that have no chronicle order… Until then, peace out cub scout.

3 comments:

Lee said...

You should do some advertising projects for Ursa Major for your portfolio! WOO!

Ann said...

Glad you are home and we can talk to you so much better. Missed you,
Love,
Mom

Kim said...

Hi Emily,
Glad you are back safe. What great memories. I really enjoyed catching up with you on your blog.