Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bus Quarrels


Ok so yesterday I went into downtown to do some shopping and on my way home I had one of the most interesting/scary bus rides of my life!  I should have known it was going to be a rough start when the bus started to drive away before we had even boarded... that was just the start.  As we walked to the back of the bus to find a seat, the bus sped out of the parking lot- full speed, hurling us into our seats!  We finally made it somewhat safe to our seat and the bus driver then proceeded to drive erratically through traffic- cutting people off, weaving in and out of traffic, all the while going pedal to the medal with the horn blaring non-stop!  

He must have been pissed off at life or something because out of no where the bus screeches to a stop right in front of another bus, making the other bus driver nearly miss rear ending us by about a centimeter and leaving him stranded in the busy intersection.  Our bus driver flung open his door and went running towards the other bus- screaming in Chinese!  He opened the door of the other bus and just let that guy have it.  I was in the back of the bus so I could see the other guy's face clearly- he seemed to be confused as to what was going on.  Our bus driver went on for a few more minutes with some of the people on the bus getting involved by yelling and pointing back at him.  I had no idea what was going on and asked my assistant Eric to help translate.  All he said to me was  "He said F*** You."  Just as he told me this, I looked back and our bus driver was headed back inside our bus.  Out of no where the other bus driver jumped out of his seat and ran off his bus towards our bus yelling and shouting!  Again they exchanged a handful of Chinese words- I'm assuming not very nice words and continued this for a good few minutes. 

 I started to video tape the conversation, thinking this could easily arise into a fight and wanting to get the best footage possible.  But eventually our bus driver had enough and just drove away closing the door in the other guy's face.  I thought the situation was over but oh no these guys are relentless!  We pulled up to the next stop light and I hear shouting again.  The other bus driver has opened his door and is shouting across 3 lanes of traffic at our bus!  Thankfully the light turned green and we were off to campus...  I tried posting the video but have been unsuccessful.  Here are some pics of the bus and Nanjing... PS I think next time I'll take a taxi!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is not a good experience.
just let him go? maybe..

Kim said...

love reading about your adventures. Stay safe!

audrey a lampe said...

i love you em! and dannnngg that is scary! you should have shown them some sweet basketball moves to hush the crowd...just a thought haha

Anonymous said...

AWESOME STORIES, THANKS FOR KEEPING US AMERICANS POSTED ON OTHER LIVES AROUND THE WORLD

Anonymous said...

THAT WAS FROM RON TELLER